HOW TO CHOOSE THE RIGHT PROBIOTIC FOR YOU
Check out our recent post on weloveannarbor.com about the different strains of probiotics and how they all have unique properties. Learning about these key differences is important when choosing the right type for you. Here’s a brief summary:
Common Strains of Probiotics
The most common strains and believed benefits include:
- L. Animalis Lactis – believed to help strengthen the immune, GI and respiratory systems. Studies also show that this strain may help reduce symptoms associated with eczema.
- L. Breve – shown to improve skin hydration/clearness in women and help with constipation and abdominal pain in kids.
- L. Longum – shown to help improve symtoms in psychiatric conditions.
- L. Acidophilus – shown to help reduce high cholesterol.
- L. Reuteri – promotes oral health by fighting cavity-producing bacteria and helps reduce gum inflammation.
Sporebiotics and Prebiotics — What Are They?
Sporebiotics, or spore-based probiotics, are formulas that are believed to survive the stomach’s acid and be more effective in colonizing healthy bacteria in the gut, when compared with other formulas. For people taking antibiotics, this type of probiotics may be more effective, since antibiotics are meant to kill both good and bad bacteria.
Prebiotics are the non-living organisms that help feed the healthy bacteria in our guts. Prebiotics are very important because, without them, the benefits of probiotics may be eliminated.
Maximize the Benefits of Your Probiotics
Thinking about adding probiotics to your diet? Read the full article, including tips to maximize the benefits of your probiotics here.
If you need help determining which type is right for you, our pharmacists have extensive training in gut health and nutrition and can help! Give us a call or send us an email for more information.
If you’re interested in setting up a consultation, give us a call or email us!