COMPOUNDING PHARMACY GENERAL INFORMATION
What is compounding?
In the history of the profession of pharmacy, pharmacists would compound medications per a doctor’s order – we’re here to keep this tradition and standard of care alive. We work with prescribers to creatively solve challenging medical problems with specialized drug products. We can customize for a specific dosage, dosage form, ingredients and schedule. We can also cater to patients with allergies and dietary restrictions with gluten, dye, sugar, corn, pork, dairy/lactose and filler-free options. Other benefits that we offer include:
- Experienced pharmacists specialized in medicine formulation
- We can compound medications that are not manufactured
- We offer chemicals and equipment that are not available in most pharmacies
Do I need a prescription?
Yes, all compounded medications we make in our lab require a prescription from a doctor’s office
Will my insurance cover it?
Some insurance policies do cover compounding prescriptions. We are contracted with several insurance carriers and can verify coverage for you.
Are compounded drugs expensive?
Compounded medications may cost less than you think. Even though we customize medications to each individual, the out-of-pocket cost is comparable to some medications that are covered by insurance.
Which quality measures do you follow?
Clark Professional Pharmacy is dedicated to safety and quality by:
- Having state-of-the-art facilities — we’re one of the few pharmacies in the area with the equipment necessary to compound sterile, non-sterile, as well as hazardous medications
- Quality and safety testing
- Following the strictest guidelines for purity and safety
- PCAB accreditation
- Holding ongoing inspections
- Only using high-quality ingredients
Where can I find a doctor that prescribes compounded medications?
Please call or stop by to ask one of our pharmacists for details.
My doctor just sent over my prescription to your pharmacy, how long does it take to get processed?
Most prescriptions are processed within 24-48 business hours. If you need a prescription filled sooner, please let us know and we will do our best to accommodate your request.Once we’ve received your prescription, our technicians give you a call to verify your information and will go over the following:
- insurance/billing information
- other medications you’re currently taking
- if you’re planning to pick it up or if you’d like us to ship it
Once your prescription is ready, we will call, or text you to let you know it’s ready for pick up.
Can I use my health savings account to pay for my compounded medication(s)?
Yes, we accept health savings accounts.
I have a sensitivity to gluten, can you make a medication without it?
Yes! We’re happy to cater to specific allergies and dietary restrictions when compounding medications. The most common requests we get include:
- veggie gelatin capsules (vs. the commonly used pork-based gelatin)
If you have questions regarding any of our ingredients, feel free to contact us and we’ll be happy to help!
Can my prescription be shipped?
Yes, we can ship anywhere in Michigan, Ohio, Illinois, Indiana and Florida.
I have heard that dietary supplements may help with the efficacy of my compounded medication, is that true?
We recommend that you consult with your physician, as well as one our pharmacists. When you fill your first prescription of a specific medication, one of our pharmacists will explain in detail the dosing, and what to expect with your medication. They can also answer any question you may have, including using dietary supplements with your medication.